Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sunshine

Although J has been in a big boy bed for 6 months now, he's never actually gotten out of the bed. He still follows the crib rules and calls for us when he wakes up.

Recently, in what must have been a moment of pure baby-kept-me-up-all-night exhaustion, I must not have heard him when he called in the morning. Next thing I know, he's in my room wondering why I have ignored him all morning. Oops!

So now, every morning he gets himself out of bed. It's actually quite nice because it totally reinforces my laziness. Want another 30 minutes of sleeping? No problem, just ask J to grab the remote on his way into the room. Don't judge...we've all done it.

The best parts are his little comments when he comes in. Sometimes he'll say "SURPRISE!!! It's me!" Usually this one is followed by O screaming because he's been awakened by the very loud surprise. But it also makes me giggle. Who else would it be? If someone else is bustin' in my room at 7:30 in the morning, yelling 'surprise' then we might have a problem.

Sometimes he'll peek very quietly around the door, and when he sees me he'll say "Good mornin' sunshine. I love you, mommy!" That just melts my heart. Is there any better way to start the day?!

Sometimes he peeks into the room and can't see me for whatever reason. Maybe I've snuggled too deep into the covers. And then he says "hello? Is anyone here?"

Any of those comments is usually always followed by "Is daddy here today?" and "Can I watch one show?" Sure, just grab that remote and make sure not to talk to me again for 30 minutes.

No comments: